Saturday, February 27, 2010

Car Seat Tent

When I went to Education Week at BYU Utah, there was a craft fair at the high school across the street.  I was introduced to Eletent.  I thought it was a fabulous idea.  Then a friend got one last year for her new baby, oh how I covetted it!  Well now that I am trying to be crafty I searched the web and found several tutorials that showed me how to make one.  I finally did...for some one else.  I am sad to be done having babies so I won't be making these things for my use, but hopefully those that I make them for enjoy them!
Here are some tutorials that I used for inspiration.  There are things that I loved and things that I was too intimidated to try.  So here is my research.  Hopefully you can find it helpful!
  • Craft Gossip This one is the most basic and simple.
  • Calico this one was my favorite, but the most intimidating.
  • Stitches and Scissors this one is middle of the road.  The binding is what intimidated me the most.
Jackson wasn't thrilled about being a model for an infant carseat, especially since he is officially a one year old!

For the fabric I used a fabric pack from JoAnn's, basically it was 6 fat Quarters for the quilt top and 1 yard of flannel for the backing.  I cut each of the six different fabrics in strips of 3, 5, and 7 inch strips then cut those strips in half.  Then I sewed all the same size stips together and cut them for the proper lengths so the seams didn't line up.  I tried to not make it into a pattern so it looked a little bit eclectic, yet was very linear.  I think the overall size was 40" by 34". (I had enough left over to make the top of the Diaper/Wipe Clutch but needed a litle bit more fabric for the inside.)

Like I mentioned before I am fearful of binding so I sewed the two pieces right sides facing together (is there a right side to flannel?) then sewed, turned and top stitched around the edge.

I am not trained at sewing so I feel I am not that good, but the more I read the more I learn that most people just pick it up and do it, imperfections and all.  I am having a blast and can not wait to get my mind around my next project!  I am working on a copy cat pattern of a commercial thing, we will see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a thought about what you saw tell me how you feel, happy crafting!